I am Dr Clement Ng, founder of TCM and You.
Because the southwest monsoon there is continuous rain lately, however, cooler and drier weather is expected for the next few months. There has never been a better time to prepare for the dry weather ahead, which may affect our upper respiratory systems, and I will explain what can we do help to ourselves and during the recovery phase of Covid from the TCM perspective.
A live online sharing of the article and coming SkillsFuture Credit approved courses was done on 02/08/2021, You may access the recording from the following link
Aug 2022 Health Update and Preview – English https://vimeo.com/736737751
For friends coming from Southern Hemisphere, please refer to Article on Spring
For Chinese version: https://tcmandyou.com/home/tny-aug-21-c/
We have been living with Covid for coming to 3 years and while many countries has adopted to “Live – With – Covid”, the pandemic is very much still raging around the world, I strongly encourage you to continue to stay vigilant and observe all safety measures protecting yourself and your loved ones and to take positive steps to manage the Post – Covid Syndrome.
As mentioned in my previous article, for those residing in Singapore, located one degree North of Equator, we went through a uniquely Singapore’s summer, characterize by Hot and Humid climate couple with thundery shower. From 07/08/2022, we welcomed the new solar term of the Commencement of Autumn (立秋) in the northern hemisphere.
While we are still having occasional thundery showers, you will feel that the weather is getting cooler and drier, and many people will feel that their throat are getting drier in the morning, experiencing dry cough without phlegm. This phenomenon is characterised under TCM as the syndrome of“秋燥”or “autumn dryness”. For those recovering from Covid, this is also one of the most common syndromes.
While many of those living around the equator, like Singapore always commented that they don’t experience 4 seasons, however depending on whether you are north or south of the line, your general weather pattern follow that hemispheric seasonal changes, the following is the Singapore average temperature over a 30 years period
The climatic characteristic of the solar term – Commencement of Autumn (立秋), is a transition from hot summer to cool autumn, it is also the period when Yang Qi of the body gradually descends and Yin Qi gradually ascends. Those with Yang deficiency will start to feel the chill as the days go by. However, the hot summer heat that has gathered from the past few months will take some time to cool down, the hot and humid weather continue to be with us into mid-October before it can really cool down.
In accordance to the Five Elements Theory which I shared in my courses, the autumn period correspond to the Metal Element and is associates with the Lung Visceral System in our body, aligning with sorrow and melancholy in emotion. As the days progress, the day light time will gradually shortened, there is a tendency for people to develop a state of saddens or depress mode, thus its prudent to consciously maintain a calm, balance state of mind and be mindful of friends and relative who may be prong to such emotional imbalance.
From the TCM perspective, the Lung Visceral System responsible for the upper respiratory systems including our skins and it prefers to stay moisten and well nourish. During this period (between August and October every year in Singapore), the weather is normally drier and it will affect the Lung Visceral System and individuals will be prone to lung diseases with symptom such as a dry mouth, dry nose, cough and dry skin.
The health betterment approaches, during this period, besides managing the heatiness and possible emotional symptoms also looking into nourishing Yin, moisten the Lung Visceral System, and promote fluid secretion. These approaches are also suitable for those who are recovering from Covid.
In this article, I will introduce four medicated diets and acupuncture points that will be suitable during this period.
- Honey Stewed Pear
- [Ingredients] A pear, 2 red dates, 10 grams of honeys
- [Efficacy] nourishing the lung, relieving cough, promote fluid secretion and eliminating dryness.
- Lily Almond Red Bean Porridge
- [Ingredients] 15 grams of lily, 6 grams of almond, 30 grams of red bean, 50 grams of rice.
- [Efficacy] clear lung, moisten dryness and address depression.
- Astragalus Qi Invigorating tea
- [Ingredients] 10 grams of Astragalus, 5 grams of Wolfberry, 5 Red dates, 5 grams of Honeysuckle and 3 slices of fresh Ginger. 1 liter of water
- [Efficacy] Suitable for people with deficiency of qi, prone to colds, to improve immunity
- Chicken with Lung Yin Nourishing soup
- [Ingredients] Lung Yin Nourishing Formula (15 grams of Adenophora, 15 grams of ophiopogon, 5 grams of Wolfberry, 5 Red dates), 4 slices of ginger, 200 grams of chicken
- [ Efficacy] Nourishing Yin, supplementing Qi and improve Qi circulation suitable for those recovering from cough.
Acupressure Massage Techniques:
- Guan Yuan 关元穴
- Beginning of Autumn (立秋) is the best time to massage Guan Yuan, as this action can help to converge the body’s Yang Qi, which will be beneficial in maintaining health, and strengthening the body.
- Guan Yuan acupoint is an important Ren meridian acupuncture point, it is located in the lower abdomen, along the mid body line, 3 Cun below the naval. Kneading the acupoints with both hands at that same time, with an bulging sensation. 2 times a day, about 1 – 3 minutes.
- Yu Ji 鱼际穴
- Yu Ji acupoint is located at the midpoint between the root of the thumb and the wrist. During the dry seasons such as the Beginning of Autumn (立秋) massaging the Yu Ji Acupoints can help relieve respiratory diseases, such as cold, bronchitis, pneumonia, pharyngitis, etc.
- When massaging, you can use the thumb of the other hand to push along the Yu Ji Acupoint, or using the Yu Ji Acupoints of the two hands to hit each other. 1 to 2 times a day, about 10 minutes.
- Ying Xiang 迎香穴
- With the start of Beginning of Autumn (立秋), diseases associated with the Lung Visceral System are prompt to develop. Massaging the Ying Xiang Acupoint has the function of cleansing the heatiness, moistening dryness and nourishing the Lung Visceral System and help clear nasal congestion.
- Ying Xiang acupoint is located beside the nasal about 0.5 Cun away, in the nasolabial groove. When massaging, use you’re the edge of the index finger to rub for 20 to 30 times, 1 to 2 times a day.
- If you are practicing the 5 Element Facial Massage Technique I shared in the “Acupressure Massage” course, you will have already been massaging this Acupoint!
- Chi Ze 尺泽穴
- While having cough that occurred after a cold or fever, massaging Chi Ze acupoint can help to relieve the symptoms and clear phlegm from the lung.
- Chi Ze acupoint is located on radial side of the cubital crease. This point is located with the elbow slightly flexed. When massage, use the thumb of one hand to knead the opposite side Chi Ze point and slowly knead for 20 to 30 times. Then alternate to the other hand, 1 to 2 times a day.
Thank you for being a part of my health maintenance and leaning community.
I look forward to share TCM health betterment knowledge and skill with you and hope you’ll someday join me to learn even more by taking my class-room training or an online course or training in the convenience of your home.
Dr Clement Ng （黄欣杰）
Online courses at Udemy,
- Feeling S.A.D.? (Stress, Anxiety & Depression) Let TCM help you
- How to improve My quality of Sleep – the TCM ways
- Certificate in Effective Acupressure Massage for Baby
- Why am I fat when I don’t eat much! – Let TCM helps you!
- Post-Covid Syndromes, Let TCM helps You!
- Insomnia, Let TCM Helps you!
提供的服务 Services provide
Clinic Appointment 诊所预约
- +65 8606 6656 @ FerraGold TCM @ Novena 富乐康中医
- 103 Irrawaddy Road, #01-11 Royal Square @ Novena Singapore 329566
- By Appointment only/ 请预约